RACQ, the widely known motoring club that provides insurance, finance and other services for Queenslanders, now offers pet health insurance for dogs and cats. RACQ pet insurance is a traditional accident and illness plan, and the organization also offers more limited pet health insurance as an optional part of home and/or contents insurance. RACQ issues its own pet insurance, presenting the lone alternative to numerous backed by Hollard/PetSure or PetPlan.
What we like
- RACQ’s stand-alone illness and injury pet insurance plan offers a solid set of benefits, including coverage for 80% of eligible expenses with choice of a $0, $100 or $200 excess amount. Plus there is a $12,000 annual benefit cap, amongst the highest of any pet insurance product. This should provide enough coverage for most pets in case of a life threatening accident or illness.
- There is a routine care option with the stand-alone plan and it has an annual cap of $100.
- The stand-alone policy has discounts so if you are a member of roadside assistance, have 3 or more policies with RACQ, insure more than 1 pet, or buy online you will receive a discount. Also RACQ is currently offering 3 months free pet insurance for all eligible pets adopted from AWLQ and pets treated at an AWLQ clinic.
- The pet insurance option with your home and /or contents insurance covers accidental injury or illness. You can claim up to $750 for veterinary care for each separate injury or illness and for each claim there is an excess of $50. There is no routine care coverage with this option and even if you purchase it online you will not receive a discount.
- Regardless of the policy type, if you take out pet insurance with RACQ you will be able to access the members’ discounts and benefit program.
A few things to consider
- RACQ is currently only available to residents of Queensland and Western Australia.
- In our survey of Australian pet insurance prices, the stand-alone RACQ pet insurance was competitively priced, coming in at a lower cost than more half of the competing brands.
- RACQ pet insurance reviews on productreview.com.au customer satisfaction varied according to the type of policy. People with the stand-alone pet insurance tended to be dissatisfied with claims being denied and with the claims processing, and those with the optional pet insurance with their household insurance tended to be satisfied with the claim processing and the value of the insurance. Across both policy types there were 15 total RACQ pet insurance reviews with a blended average rating 3.3 out of 5.
- The details for each type of pet insurance are in two different Product Disclosure Statements, one for the stand-alone pet insurance and the other is detailed in various sections of the Household Insurance Policy. Be sure to read them thoroughly so you can fully understand the coverage and the restrictions that apply.