National Seniors is a senior citizen’s advocacy group and one way it supports itself is through offering a range of insurance products like pet insurance. However, you don’t have to be a senior to purchase your pet insurance through National Seniors.
They keep things simple by offering one straightforward, yet customisable policy that’s issued by RACQ Insurance and available throughout all of Australia.
What we like about National Seniors pet insurance
- You can choose between a $0, $100 or $200 excess. This give you the flexibility to lower your premiums by choosing a higher out-of-pocket contribution, or vice-versa.
- National Seniors takes away the guesswork by offering only one policy covering both illnesses and injuries. However, it also lets you tack-on an optional routine care benefit if you want that too.
- If your pet has a pre-existing condition, National Seniors may agree to cover it. You can apply for a waiver by filling out a waiver form and getting your vet to certify that your dog or cat has been symptom-free for at least 18 months.
- National Seniors offers a solid set of benefits, covering 80% of eligible vet bills up to $12,000. These aren’t the highest or lowest figures in the market, but they may just hit the sweet spot for you.
Some things to consider
- You can purchase routine care cover called the Tender Loving Care package that covers expenses like microchipping, vaccines and teeth cleaning. However, the yearly limit is only $100. You might find that the benefits you’ll get from this cover aren’t quite worth the added cost.
- There is a 6-month waiting period for treatments related to cruciate ligament damage and a 30-day waiting period for everything else.
You should read the National Seniors pet insurance product disclosure statement (PDS) before purchasing your policy so that you’re familiar with your policy’s benefits and exclusions.
I’m Mitch, and I’ve spent hundreds of hours researching pet insurance, meeting with pet insurance executives, and getting the opinions of vets and pet owners. I wanted to put out information on every pet insurance brand (that I know of), to provide a true overview of the many options available to pet owners.