Pet Insurance Australia has been providing pet insurance since 2008. Like many pet insurance plans in Australia, they are underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company and administered by PetSure, the two dominant names in the pet insurance market since the late 1990s.
What we like about Pet Insurance Australia:
- You’ll have good peace of mind with a $15,000 benefit limit, which is the highest cap of any major plan in Australia. Vet bills are covered at a solid 80% and you can choose from a $0, $100 or $200 excess amount to best match premiums to your expected needs.
- Premiums came in lower than average on our cost survey of 18 leading pet insurance plans. Plus, Pet Insurance Australia offers frequent discounts for new customers.
- Pet Insurance Australia has received Canstar’s coveted 5-star ratings in 2016 for all three of its pet insurance plans. Canstar evaluated 84 pet insurance plans, rating them for premiums, discounts or refunds, benefit payout, and features. Pet Insurance Australia is the only provider to garner the 5-star rating for all of its plans, achieving top ratings across the board for the second year in a row.
A few things to consider:
- While Pet Insurance Australia is currently the highest rated pet insurance plan on ProductReview.com.au (rated 4.1 out of 5.0), the company has amassed more than 50 reviews where it is rated ‘bad’ or ‘terrible’. These complaints generally cite claims being denied after processing times of a month or more.
- A number of online complaints also criticize Pet Insurance Australia’s product disclosure statement for being unclear, with some reviewers alleging that it is deceptive. You should carefully review the product disclosure statement of any pet insurance plan prior to purchasing, and contact the company with any questions that you may have. Obtaining written responses to your questions about coverage in advance of treatment will usually help eliminate any issues with claims later.