Prime Pet Insurance claims to provide a regal level of pet insurance coverage. While Prime does offer a better-than-average set of coverage and benefits, it’s tough to get past the king-sized premiums.
What we like about Prime Pet Insurance
- Prime’s Imperial Accident & Illness Cover provides solid coverage, with up to 80% reimbursement of vet bills, a high $14,000 annual benefits cap and no excess. Upgrade to the Sovereign plan and vet reimbursements climb to 85% – the highest rate in Australia.
- Prime Pet Insurance is underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company and administered by PetSure, the two dominant names in Australian pet insurance since the late 1990s.
- Though you’re unlikely to need them, Prime offers some unique benefits, such as coverage (with restrictions) for your pet while traveling overseas or emergency boarding coverage for your pet if you are hospitalised for more than five consecutive days.
A few things to consider:
- The monthly fee for Prime Pet Insurance was the highest in Australia in our pet insurance comparison survey. In our research, Prime’s premiums were nearly 50% higher than the national average!
- The Prime Pet Insurance Web site is a bit clunky, and requires you to choose a plan prior to obtaining an insurance quote, making it challenging to compare the price of different plans.
If you’re considering purchasing Prime Pet Insurance, be sure to thoroughly review the Product Disclosure Statement so that you fully understand your coverage and any restrictions, prior to purchasing.