Australian Seniors Insurance Agency offers pet insurance as well as car, home, landlord, accident, travel and funeral insurance. People of all ages can take out pet insurance with Australian Seniors, but if you are over age 50 you will receive a 10% discount.
Australian Seniors pet insurance policies are issued by the Hollard Insurance Company and administered by PetSure, the dominant names in the Australian pet insurance industry.
What we like about Australian Seniors Pet Insurance
• Australian Seniors pet insurance offers a solid set of benefits. With the accident only plan 80% of eligible vet bills are covered up to an annual limit of $8,000 and with the accident and illness plans either 75% or 80% of eligible vet bills are covered to an annual limit of $12,000.
• You have a choice of two accident and illness plans, either “essential” or “top”. With the “essential” plan 75% of vet bills are covered and with the “top” plan 80% of bills are covered. With “top” you will also have coverage for routine care.
• There is no excess on Australian Seniors pet insurance policies.
• Unlike some other pet insurance companies, Australian Seniors does not charge extra for paying on a fortnightly or monthly basis and if a vet visits your pet at home you will be covered.
A few things to consider
• The routine care cover has a cap of only $80 per year, which is lower than other pet health insurers. For many pet owners, the benefits you receive may be well below the additional cost of this coverage.
• Australian Seniors’ premium came in just above average on our cost survey of 20 leading pet insurance plans. The commission rate on this plan is up to 46% of premiums, meaning nearly half of your premiums payments go towards sales, marketing and profits.
• We can find just one single Australian Seniors pet insurance review online, which suggests this product has few customers (and perhaps receives minimal corporate support.) The single review was by an unhappy customer who described the cancellation process and described Australian Seniors as “terrible”.
Be sure to read the product disclosure statement for Australian Senior’s pet insurance prior to enrolling to make sure you fully understand the benefits and exclusions of your policy.